eXtension’s professional development opportunities are open to all Cooperative Extension faculty, staff and employees. No pre-registration is required. Please share this announcement with others and encourage them to pick a topic and try it out!
30- and 60-MINUTE SESSIONS
This month we are offering sessions on a several topics including creating a personal learning environment, Ask an Expert widgets, Google Voice, using Second Life for small group meetings, and a Question Wrangler meetup. Give us 30-60 minutes and we’ll teach you something useful! These sessions will be held at our Web Conferencing Center at http://connect.extension.iastate.edu/learn and your
telephone. Plan to join the session five minutes before the starting time. Each session will be held at 2:00 p.m. Eastern Time (1:00 p.m. CT, 12:00 noon MT, 11:00 a.m. PT, 10:00 a.m. AT; 8:00 a.m.HT) unless otherwise noted.
* Thursday, July 8, at 2:00 p.m. ET, a 30-minute session on How to Use Second Life for Small Group Meetings by LuAnn Phillips, eXtension Virtual Worlds Coordinator. If you have a committee or workgroup that needs to meet regularly from a distance, Second Life can provide the sense of “presence in place” that is missing on a phone conference. eXtension can provide you with the meeting space, a facilitator,
pre-meeting orientation, and collaboration tools and best of all, it is FREE. (For all Extension)
* Monday, July 12 at 2:00- 2:45 p.m. ET, Personal Learning Environments with NetVibes by Stan Skrabut, Univ of Wyoming Extension. Do you find yourself going from one Web site to another just to find information you are interested in? Don’t you wish there was a better way? Well there is. You can have the information come to you in your own personal learning environment. In this workshop we will learn how to turn NetVibes into your own personal learning environment. Specifically, we will learn how to incorporate a variety of social media resources like del.icio.us, Twitter, blogs, and RSS/Atom feeds into one site. (For all Extension).
* Thursday, July 15 at 2:00-3:00 p.m. ET, Beginning with the Ask an Expert Widget by Aaron Hundley and Ask an Expert Discussion Double Header by Aaron Hundley and Beth Raney Learn the basics of the Ask an Expert System with Widgets and stick around for the AaE Discussion for current participants of the AaE system. How to use the Ask eXtension widget to receive and answer questions directly from your county Extension web site or Extension-related website. This widget adds question-asking capabilities to your site, but uses the power of the eXtension Ask an Expert and FAQ systems to assist you in answering. Take questions from your clients, and use the 40,000 questions in the FAQ system to assist you in providing a timely and accurate answer. This session will introduce you to the Ask an Expert system, the Ask an Expert widget, show you the latest features developed, and will discuss what is necessary to begin using it immediately in your own county sites and blogs with helpful tips. Then we will have a conversation to discuss current implementations and ideas for the AaE system with those who have been working in the AaE system. (For all Extension).
* July 20 at 2:00 p.m. ET, a 30-minute session on Google Voice by Kevin Gamble, eXtension. This session will demonstrate the very cool functionality that is built into Google Voice. You will leave this session understanding why so many people are proclaiming this as a killer phone application. (Indeed, some of us wonder how we ever survived without it.) We’ll show you how to get started, and all of the basic things needed to fine-tune it for your own personal and professional use. (For all Extension)
* Tuesday, July 27 at 2:00-3:00 p.m. ET, Question Wrangler Monthly Meetup with Beth Raney and Kevin Gamble, eXtension. An opportunity for state Question Wranglers who help with questions submitted via Ask an Expert by the public at www.extension.org, to get familiar with your role, the tools available to make it easier, and share experiences & tips. (For eXtension Question Wranglers)
* Wednesday, July 28 at 2:00 p.m. ET, a 30-minute session on Making Moodle Meaningful & Memorable by Jennifer Jahadkar, Texas AgriLife Extension. Bring cohesiveness and meaning to your online course with graphics and purposeful design elements. (For all Extension)
Second Life is an immersive 3-D virtual online environment, free to the public, and used by educators from around the world for teaching and collaboration. eXtension will help you get started by providing space, training, and technical assistance.
Instructions for entering Second Life are at
LuAnn Phillips, eXtension Virtual Worlds Coordinator, is available to assist you in world, and can be reached at email@example.com, by instant message to Thynka Little in Second Life, or at www.thynkalittle.com
July Second Life Events:
* Thursday, July 8, at 2:00 p.m. ET, a 30-minute session How to Use Second Life for Small Group Meetings by LuAnn Phillips, eXtension’s Virtual Worlds Coordinator. If you have a committee or workgroup that needs to meet regularly from a distance, Second Life can provide the sense of “presence in place” that is missing on a phone conference. eXtension can provide you with the meeting space, a facilitator,
pre-meeting orientation, and collaboration tools and best of all, it is FREE. (For all Extension) Held at http://connect.extension.iastate.edu/learn
* Thursday, July 15, 2:00-3:00 p.m. EDT, (11-12:00 SLT) First planning meeting for Virtual State Fair week to be held live in Second Life in late September or early October. Meet in Adobe Connect at http://connect.ksre.ksu.edu/extension3d/ or in Second Life at the Virtual County Extension
* Friday, July 16, 2:00-3:30 p.m. EDT, (11-12:30 SLT) Second Life Meetup: In-world practice for new users, mentors are welcome to assist. Meet at the Virtual County Extension http://slurl.com/secondlife/Morrill2/181/172/24
Add these dates & topics to your calendar, and plan to join us on for one or more of these sessions in July!!
TO PARTICIPATE in any of the sessions held in our Web Conferencing Center…
1. Five minutes before the start time, go to our Web Conferencing Center meeting room at http://connect.extension.iastate.edu/learn.
2. You will be presented with a login screen that has an “Enter as Guest” option.
3. Enter your first name, your last name, and your institution/university, then click the “Enter Room” button to join the conference.
4. To hear the audio of the workshop and participate in the Q&A portion of the workshop we will be using a built-in teleconferencing capability of Adobe’s Connect Pro conferencing software. Once you log into the meeting you will be presented with the option to enter your callback number, your phone will automatically be called. After entering your number you will be automatically called and joined into the audio portion of the Web conference on your phone.
If you or a colleague would like to get notices about upcoming professional development sessions offered by eXtension, go to https://people.extension.org/communities/learn and Click “Join Community.
What would you like to learn about, like to see again, what ideas do you have for new topics, and/or people who could teach new topics? Recently Google Wave was opened so anyone can participate without having a special invitation. I’ve created a wave for our Learn community to share ideas. Follow the link to the Wave. You will be prompted to log into your Google Account, or create one associated with whatever email address you use.
Feel welcome to add your thoughts in a new blip, or reply to a blip someone else has posted. To keep this public wave in your Wave Inbox, just click the “follow” button. For an Intro to Google Wave, check out the Recordings!
Recordings of many past professional development sessions can be found at the main eXtension wiki at http://about.eXtension.org/wiki and scroll down under Professional Development heading and find “Recordings of eXtension Professional Development Sessions”, or search on the word Recordings.
Looking forward to having you join us to learn something new in July!!